28th March 2021
The mouse plague is not just hurting farmers – pets are in danger too. Vets across the Central West are seeing many pets poisoned by ratbait. Dogs sometimes eat bait while cats might play with dying mice, so please keep pets away from bait. If you can get a poisoned pet to us quickly, your pet can be made to vomit which reduces toxin absorption. However, blood tests, transfusions or an antidote might be needed and bait can be fatal. Ratbait interferes with blood clotting so poisoned pets might show signs of bleeding in nosebleeds or in urine. Internal bleeding can cause coughing, lethargy or collapse.If you think your pet has been in contact with bait or with poisoned mice, contact us for advice straight away.